ISO14 Meeting Highlights
The National Osteoporosis Foundation’s Interdisciplinary Symposium on Osteoporosis (ISO14): Patient-Centered Care: Developing Successful Bone Health Teams featured more than 30 speakers, showcased exhibitors and attracted over 400 attendees. Plenary, breakout sessions, pre-conference symposia, an interactive hands-on workshop, networking events, and the exhibit hall gave attendees myriad opportunities to grow their knowledge, make new contacts and discover best practices to take home to their patients. You will stand out among your colleagues with your newly acquired or updated knowledge of post-fracture coordinated care processes and practices.
Highlights of the event included:
ISO14 began with an FLS Pre-conference Symposium lead by highly respected leaders in the FLS arena. Topics such as “The FLS Model of Care/ FLS Basics/ Care Coordination, “FLS Database Issues” and “Practice Issues” were presented and well received by those in attendance. The pre-conference symposium was extremely popular and sold out quickly!
Following the FLS Pre-conference Symposium, ISO14 offered an Interactive Skills Building Workshop where clinicians were able to rotate through numerous stations carefully designed and selected to highlight best practices for better bone health and patient care. Stations included: learning how to use a stadiometer for accurate height measurement; creating calcium and vitamin balanced plates with the help of NOF’s Calcium calculator; using FRAX as a diagnostic tool; exercise demonstrations; and more.
Day one of ISO14 opened with the session “Improving Osteoporosis Care through Shared Decision Making and Patient-Centered Care with Carolyn Clancy, MD presenting.
Other highlights of ISO14 included:
- The Lawrence G. Raisz, MD Memorial Lecture Award Winner Bess Dawson-Hughes, MD, presenting on “Extra-skeletal Effects of Vitamin D.”
- The Year in Bone Health, Osteoporosis and Fracture Risk: Top Research and Clinical Advances, Updates and Controversies presented by Michael McClung, MD
- FLS Team Based Care with presentations by Cliff Jones, MD & Debra Sietsema, PhD, RN
- Addressing and Overcoming Today's Challenges and Barriers in Clinical Care presented by Andrea Singer, MD
- What's New in the Updated NOF Clinician's Guide presented by Meryl LeBoff, MD
- The exhibit hall at ISO14 offered ample networking opportunities for healthcare professionals and industry representatives interested in lifelong bone health.
NOF would like to thank everyone who helped make ISO14 so successful! We couldn’t have done it without the Annual Meeting Program Planning Committee, our corporate supporters and our members. Your presence greatly contributed to the success of the event and helped us reach our goal of bringing together all of the specialties that make up an effective osteoporosis team.
We hope you enjoyed ISO14 and made lasting connections to help you better collaborate in the near future n the best ways to help patients understand self-care measures and effective management of their disease.
We hope to see you next year at ISO15!